The Year I Started as a Senior and Ended as a Freshman/Sophomore
A survey for 2012.
What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
- In rough chronological order, I went to prom with a date, learned to drive, got a credit card, bought cosmetics not for a formal event, learned taiko, and bought posters online. Pretty eventful, I’d say.
Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- I don’t recall making any resolutions other than getting good grades… My resolutions for next year are to make more friends and to be a normal person.
Did anyone close to you give birth?
- Not that I know of.
Did anyone close to you die?
- Not that I know of.
What countries did you visit?
- Visit? None. But I associate with three countries as my “home”, and I was at each of them at some point this past year: USA, Taiwan, and China.
What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
- More friends? And less anxiety and more happiness.
What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
- 2012 isn’t over yet. I would wait until the year is over to judge. Otherwise it might be a particular day in early May.
What was your biggest achievement of the year?
- I finished, in two days, a ten-page paper for which I did not read in entirety the two required books, and I eventually got a B+.
What was your biggest failure?
- Failing to get along with my roommate? Or is that her failure? I’d say it’s both our biggest failures. :P
Did you suffer illness or injury?
- Mainly mental maladies.
What was the best thing you bought?
- Books upon books upon books. And the occasional handcrafted necklace.
Whose behavior merited celebration?
- I don’t know…
Whose behavior made you appalled/depressed/angry?
- My roommate?
Where did most of your money go?
- Books… Not ashamed of it though. ^^
What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- Joining taiko club! And coming back to Shanghai for reunions with old friends. :)
What song will always remind you of 2012?
- What Makes You Beautiful, by One Direction. No, I’m not a fan, but this song is just so twelfth grade.
Compared to this time last year, are you:
- Happier? I can’t recall how I felt last Christmas… Maybe I was too busy stressing over college applications…
- Thinner? I wish.
- Richer? Well, I have my own credit & debit cards now, so technically I have more money that belongs to myself. But this money’s just coming from my parents, since I don’t have a job, so, realistically, no.
What do you wish you’d done more of?
- Socializing and not feeling awkward. Exploring LA.
What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Internet. If that’s a verb.
How will you be spending Christmas?
- Meeting old friends in Shanghai! :)
Did you fall in love in 2012?
How many one-night stands?
- One, with a midterm paper, if that counts.
What was your favorite TV program?
- NO MATTER WHAT IT WILL ALWAYS BE SHERLOCK.
Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
- No, not that I know of.
What was the best book you read?
- This year? If on a winter’s night a traveler. Followed by Invisible Cities and The Fault in Our Stars.
What was your greatest musical discovery?
What did you want and got?
- Winter break!!
What was your favorite film of this year?
- Life of Pi
What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
- I didn’t celebrate my birthday on or around my actual date of birth, but I just celebrated my next one today with a reunion involving KTV and tea! Turned 18 in 2012, turning 19 in a little over two weeks. :)
What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
- To have people to hang out with everyday at school? :/
How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
- I don’t really have a particular “fashion concept” or style. I just usually wear a T-shirt and jeans when it’s warm, and a sweater and a jacket over that when it’s cold. I have always had the desire to dress mildly goth but never really did. And I just bought my first pairs of pants that are not made of denim or are not the usual colors and patterns. (I got red tartan pants and light ochre polka-dotted pants…) And I now wear mismatching socks.
What kept you sane?
Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
- Depends on what you mean by “celebrity/public figure” and “fancy”. I’d say that John Green is my new favorite famous person personality-wise.
What political issue stirred you the most?
- Maybe the elections, because I voted for the first time.
Who did you miss?
- All my friends from high school. But I get to see most people again this week! :D
Who was the best new person you met?
- People. Naseoul & Shuwen :)
Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
- To lighten up and be optimistic & forgiving?
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
- Some lines from Eminem’s “Space Bound” are eerily fitting for the latter half of my year…
Nobody knows me, I’m cold,
Walk down this road all alone.
It’s no one’s fault but my own—
It’s the path I’ve chosen to go.
Frozen as snow, I show no emotion
Don’t ask me why I have no love
For these motherfucking hoes.